Thursday 29 October 2009

Pups save the Planet!

I would like to thank all my friends for your, er, 'interesting' and 'creative' responses to my post about us dogs supposedly being worse for the environment than SUVs. I think it is fair to say there was a strong consensus in favour of the notion that our planet benefits greatly, in many and diverse ways, from the existence of our wonderful species. 

Whereas we could mostly quite happily do without SUVs.....

Personally I thought ALL your suggestions for how dogs can save the planet were excellent, but the technical support (who claims to have some sort of a PhD  in something to do with greenhouse gas emissions) seems to doubt that wiping the insides of car windows with our noses (Jazzi) and not showering (Stella) will do much to halt global warming. She also feels that a statement like 'I WANT MY SHARE OF THE MEAT'  (Bonnie) sends out a mixed message.

Well, there is much to chew on here, and the debate is clearly not about to vanish anytime soon (unlike Greenland's icecap....)

One final request, before we leave this topic. Please spare a thought for our friends in Switzerland.

12 comments:

the magic sleigh said...

Woooos! Poor little St Bernards... and uh oh, husky's will be next!
-Kira The BeaWootiful

ScrapsofMe said...

I'm just saying....if part of the argument is about the meat we doggies eat, I ain't the cause. I get stooopid veggie sensitive tummy kibbie and no people foodies. I keep trying to catch and eat my own meat, but they keep me on a pretty short leash. So there is some doggie out there getting twice the meatables.
Sniffies,
Bonnie

Two French Bulldogs said...

Oh St. Bernards....great we better get in line
Benny & Lily

Stella said...

Do we really have to drag your Ph.D. into this, Hamish? That is mostly the trouble with Ph.D's they just nitpick over things and unless your suggestion solves the whole problem its not worthy. Bah, I say. Small solutions can solve big problems if they are approached in the right way.

Kisses,
Stella

Scooter said...

Yah, I am like Bonnie. I dont get meat either, just the kibble and now with cheese!! ;-)

So some doggie is getting mone too.

Meatless in IL
Jazzi

Maxmom said...

Hey there Hamish
I like Stella's comment very much, but our TAMMY (the half-intelligent one) asks:....
"IS THAT ST BERNARD AVAILABLE?"
You should stop putting strange ideas into her spongy head.
Licks
MAXDOG IN SOUTH AFRICA

Martha said...

We are shocked to hear about the St Bernards - what next?
love
Martha & Bailey xxx

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

We thing doggies enhance the planet - that's our story and we're sticking to it.

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Anonymous said...

Hey Hamish,

I, too, don't eat meat as many of your friends have said. So there. Besides, who needs an old SUV anyway? Unless you live on a farm or something and REALLY use them, then how about a Smart Car? Just big enough for a Scottie or two? (And a driver, of course.)

I've added you to my blogroll, by the way. You remind me of my Westie friend, Dixie.

Roo Roo,
Stuart

Eric said...

Poor St Bernards. Have you had wonderful wetaher this week Hamish..ours has been waging but mmm Mom says it's that but a worry too.

Wiry wags n kisses Eric xxx

Arran, Arthur and Mum said...

oh yes and Me! I's made for the cold. Maybe I should do my bit. Mum can carry me about instead of driving me places.
~lickies, Ludo

How Sam Sees It said...

Sure, but people focus on the little problems (dogs!) than the big problems. One SUV or car or truck isn't the problem - it is several hundred thousand of them. Here in AZ, they are targeting farmers for using water that is used to grow our food a.k.a vegetables, but say nothing about green lawns and golf courses! I could do without a lawn, but I would like to eat! AARRRGGGG! Don't get me started!

Sam